HOW TO PROTECT ONE’S ĪMĀN
Hazrat Mufti Ebrahim Salejee Sahib حفظه الله has mentioned that the most precious commodity is Īmān. The nature of anything precious is that if it is taken care of, the benefits are indeed tremendous. On the contrary, if any commodity is neglected, the consequences are disastrous. In exactly the same way, if this Īmān is protected and strengthened, it can cause a person to transcend even beyond the Malā’ikah (angels). But if this Īmān is neglected, it can demote a person so low that even the Shayāteen are left surprised. Therefore, there is a need to guard and secure this invaluable asset of Īmān. For this, the Holy Qur’ān enjoins two things; adopting Taqwa and associating with the pious.
The essence of Taqwa can be defined as:
1. Fulfilling the commands of Allah Ta’ala جل جلاله and abstaining from His prohibitions – this must become second nature.
2. Displaying good character.
GOOD CHARACTER can be summarised into three categories:
1. Have a cheerful countenance; one should smile with one’s wife, children, etc. However, one should not smile at strange women (or strange men when it comes to women).
2. One should not hurt or harm others; and this should start with one’s immediate family, ie wife, children, etc
3. Being a source of goodness to others; making every endeavour to spending one’s wealth to serve others, sacrificing one’s time to assist those in need, giving the correct advice to those in need, etc
The salvation of the Ummah lies in returning to the fundamental principles of obedience and reforming our actions to invite favourable conditions from Allah Ta’ala جل جلاله. Allah Ta’ala جل جلاله states categorically in the Kalaamullāh:
ان الله لا يغير ما بقوم حتى يغيروا ما بأنفسهم
‘Allah Ta’ala will not change the condition of a nation until they change themselves.’
We have to acknowledge that we have strayed from the path of righteousness; the need is to return to Allah Ta’ala جل جلاله and become true slaves in order to attract Divine Protection and Assistance.
SOURCE: Stepping Stones to Reformation (1)
(Hazrat Mufti Ebrahim Salejee Sahib حفظه الله)
? الحمد لله
The series LANTERNS OF GUIDANCE has been completed with the mercy of Allah Ta’ala جل جلاله. Invaluable advices have been shared from the Qur’ān, Ahadīth and Malfoozaat of the Ahlullāh. May Allah Ta’ala جل جلاله accept our feeble efforts.
آمين يارب العالمين